PLACE is governed by a Board of Directors. The Chief Executive is Dr Margaret Atherden.
- To promote research into the people, landscape and cultural environment of Yorkshire and elsewhere and to disseminate the useful results for the benefit of the general public.
- To advance the education of the public in the people and the natural and cultural heritage of Yorkshire and elsewhere.
Objectives of PLACE:
- Sponsoring, facilitating or undertaking research projects related to the people, landscape and cultural environment, primarily of the historic county of Yorkshire and of Yorkshire and the Humber (‘Yorkshire’), both independently and in collaboration with other organisations.
- Liaising and forming partnerships with other organisations concerned with the environmental and cultural heritage primarily of Yorkshire, and cooperating with them in research and conservation initiatives.
- Undertaking consultancy and contract work on topics related to the charitable objects of PLACE.
- Where appropriate, employing and remunerating research assistants or other staff to undertake research projects in furtherance of the charitable objects of PLACE.
- Acquiring and maintaining in good working order equipment, materials and resources used in the pursuance of the charitable objects of PLACE.
- Organising conferences, displays and events to increase public appreciation of the natural and cultural heritage of Yorkshire and elsewhere.
- Running day schools, seminars, short courses and lectures to educate the general public about the people, landscape and cultural environment of Yorkshire.
- Producing written or electronic publications, visual and audio media or other products to disseminate the results of research on the people, landscape and cultural environment of Yorkshire and elsewhere.
- Selling publications and other products in order to raise funds to further the charitable objects of PLACE.
- Where appropriate, employing and remunerating administrative staff to assist with the running of PLACE.
- Raising funds from individuals or organisations by appropriate means to further the work of PLACE.
Aileen Bloomer (Chair of Board)
Christine Handley (Company Secretary)
Michael Hopkinson (Treasurer)
PLACE Annual General Meeting
PLACE holds an AGM in a different location each year, usually as part of a day of activities and field visits for members and their friends. (For details of the next AGM, please see the AGM page).
Click below for article Memorandum and Articles of Association:
PLACE has partner organisations, with whom we organise joint events from time to time:
City of York Council
Council for British Archaeology
Food and Environment Research Agency
Historic Towns Forum
Huddersfield & Halifax Geographical Association
North York Moors National Park Authority
North Yorkshire County Council Heritage Unit
Ryedale Folk Museum
South Yorkshire ECONET
University of Bradford
University of York
York St John University
Yorkshire Archaeological Society
Yorkshire Dales Landscape Research Trust
Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority
Yorkshire Farming and Wildlife Partnership
Yorkshire Naturalists’ Union
Yorkshire Philosophical Society
Yorkshire Vernacular Buildings Study Group
Yorkshire Wildlife Trust
Independent researchers working in Yorkshire are sometimes invited to become Fellows of PLACE. They collaborate with us in some of our research projects and sometimes publish their work through PLACE.